This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AtB OpFor Selection
I am tired of waiting 10 minutes for the bot to move.

What setting do i need to change to make the bot use a handful of heavier units to face my lance of ~230 tons, instead of  19 jump jet equipped lights.
Unfortunately you can't adjust the type of units generated for the opfor, but you can adjust the number of units generated. Go to campaign options -> ATB and reduce the base number of lances. By default ATB seems to generate opfor as if you have 3 lances, reducing it to 1 will make the opfor generated as if you are using only one lance. The opfor will still be mostly lights though.
(02-15-2015, 12:21 PM)moghedan link Wrote:I am tired of waiting 10 minutes for the bot to move.

What setting do i need to change to make the bot use a handful of heavier units to face my lance of ~230 tons, instead of  19 jump jet equipped lights.

Ignore Question2's response... it is totally wrong.

1 ) make sure the mekhq.l4j reads 1024 or more... up to around 1200 or so
2 ) keep in mind that AtB rules use the Canon Lance Weights...
130 light
200 medium
280 heavy
anything up to 390 is Assault

My point being a Lance that weighs 230 tons is just so much cannon fodder. It gets opponents like a Heavy lance but is barely heavier than a Medium.
3 ) Under AtB Options turn the Skill Level down. This will give Princess fewer units to beat on you with.
4 ) Understand that AtB rules are designed to literally give you battles where your Heavy lance is under attack from a light swarm. Not every time but it is definitely on the list of things that could happen.
5 ) Avoid City Battles since they slow everything down. The nicest map in terms of CPU usage is Savannah of course... totally flat nothing... Some Trees map is kind of nice when your computer isn't up to handling the Locust Swarm.
(02-22-2015, 02:40 PM)scJazz link Wrote:1 ) make sure the mekhq.l4j reads 1024 or more... up to around 1200 or so

And that is only true of 32bit Java, if you have 64bit java and huge GB of RAM, feel free to do like I do, and throw anything from 2GB [2048] to 4GB [4096] at it, or even more if you want. Though, I've found that 2GB is plenty except in the most extreme circumstances.

Regarding the bot and swarms of light units though, that is limited by both RAM and processing power. So an old 1.0GHz P-III will probably be slow, even if it has 1200 RAM assigned to Java. Whereas my octcore i7 @ 2.40GHz just chugs right along Wink
(02-22-2015, 03:44 PM)ralgith link Wrote:[quote author=scJazz link=topic=1993.msg13020#msg13020 date=1424630431]
1 ) make sure the mekhq.l4j reads 1024 or more... up to around 1200 or so

And that is only true of 32bit Java, if you have 64bit java and huge GB of RAM, feel free to do like I do, and throw anything from 2GB [2048] to 4GB [4096] at it, or even more if you want. Though, I've found that 2GB is plenty except in the most extreme circumstances.

Regarding the bot and swarms of light units though, that is limited by both RAM and processing power. So an old 1.0GHz P-III will probably be slow, even if it has 1200 RAM assigned to Java. Whereas my octcore i7 @ 2.40GHz just chugs right along Wink
[/quote]

I KNOW I KNOW 1200 is a number that works for everyone. Which is like the 10th time I've mentioned it. Could you please stop correcting me on tedious data points that everyone understands usually? Perhaps instead check out the fact that...

I do have an RFE to increase the default Mem to 1024.

https://sourceforge.net/p/mekhq/feature-requests/262/
(02-22-2015, 04:46 PM)scJazz link Wrote:I KNOW I KNOW 1200 is a number that works for everyone. Which is like the 10th time I've mentioned it. Could you please stop correcting me on tedious data points that everyone understands usually? Perhaps instead check out the fact that...

I do have an RFE to increase the default Mem to 1024.

https://sourceforge.net/p/mekhq/feature-requests/262/

No Tongue It's important to specify in this case, because often MHQ needs more than 1200MB - especially when launching MM from HQ.

As for the RFE, I swear we already increased the ones that mattered... And MML does not need a GB, it doesn't even need 512MB, but that's what it should be at. Only MHQ requires really massive amounts. I'll go look at the defaults again, and increase them to where they need to be [which I needed to do anyway, since the Mac APP files aren't matched up to the l4j and *nix script values anymore] for all projects.
(02-22-2015, 06:06 PM)ralgith link Wrote:As for the RFE, I swear we already increased the ones that mattered... And MML does not need a GB, it doesn't even need 512MB, but that's what it should be at. Only MHQ requires really massive amounts. I'll go look at the defaults again, and increase them to where they need to be [which I needed to do anyway, since the Mac APP files aren't matched up to the l4j and *nix script values anymore] for all projects.

And now the proper defaults are in across the board:
MM: 1024
MML: 512
MHQ: 1200
(02-22-2015, 06:32 PM)ralgith link Wrote:[quote author=ralgith link=topic=1993.msg13023#msg13023 date=1424642775]
As for the RFE, I swear we already increased the ones that mattered... And MML does not need a GB, it doesn't even need 512MB, but that's what it should be at. Only MHQ requires really massive amounts. I'll go look at the defaults again, and increase them to where they need to be [which I needed to do anyway, since the Mac APP files aren't matched up to the l4j and *nix script values anymore] for all projects.

And now the proper defaults are in across the board:
MM: 1024
MML: 512
MHQ: 1200
[/quote]

Hurray! Gone is one of the number one "why is it so slow" questions from new users!
To be replaced by the question of "Why won't it open?"

I have had at least one player that could not open the game unless its memory usage was set below 1000mb. It should be rare with modern machines, however.
(02-23-2015, 11:49 AM)Jayof9s link Wrote:To be replaced by the question of "Why won't it open?"

I have had at least one player that could not open the game unless its memory usage was set below 1000mb. It should be rare with modern machines, however.

So true... but I think we just exchanged 10 why so slow with 1 won't open Smile

Again thanks!

As mentioned in another thread over on BT... I missed my afternoon meds yesterday and was unusually grouchy. Sorry for that.
Just make sure you don't take the grumpy pills on those mornings  :o But we wont hold it against you  Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rank system selection not saving in 0.48? rohanreed 1 93 03-20-2021, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Hammer
  Bomb Selection from the Hangar txsoldier94 12 3,868 06-14-2017, 04:00 PM
Last Post: txsoldier94
  Allow Order/Selection/Assignment of Scroungs assigned Techs neilfw 0 1,071 02-01-2015, 07:14 AM
Last Post: neilfw