This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new Tab
With the recent work I have done with Time in Service (and a request for time in rank) as well as a new addition to the procreation line (Random Marriage), and the far more useful Log Savers, I have been contemplating adding a tab to handle the log savers as well as the time in service lines.

Log savers have one current feature included into HQ but I have three more I have not completed. Minimum. A fourth I have thought of (but not sure of) would be for prisoners. Instead of Made Prisoner and Mission entries it would change to a single entry, Captured in scenario name during mission name. Saves a single log entry while serving the same purpose. If all were included that would make five total.

Time in Service can be expanded to include not only time in rank but also automatic rank progression up to sergeant or some officer rank. This second addition alone would require a fair bit of space, probably the size of Experience Multipliers or perhaps double. Something the Personnel panel may not handle well and still fit smaller screens/resolutions.

Thoughts?
My thought is... Why does that need a whole new tab? That's not that much data that it needs its own screen.

At best I could see adding another View dropdown in the Personnel tab to sort / show different info for the personnel in addition to General, Graphic, and the various skills.

But mainly each person already has an individual Personnel Log. Why does that need expanded into its own tab? That seems excessive to say the least.

Edit: Or am I misunderstanding. Do you mean another tab in the Campaign Options?
Yes a new tab in campaign options. I had an example to show off but then I rammed my knee into the other computer and goodnight sweetheart.. the stupid thing rebooted. I've rebuilt part of it (using QT since the GUI designer is very easy to work with) but kids are sick and haven't completed it yet.
(02-29-2016, 12:03 AM)pheonixstorm link Wrote: With the recent work I have done with Time in Service (and a request for time in rank) as well as a new addition to the procreation line (Random Marriage), and the far more useful Log Savers, I have been contemplating adding a tab to handle the log savers as well as the time in service lines.

Log savers have one current feature included into HQ but I have three more I have not completed. Minimum. A fourth I have thought of (but not sure of) would be for prisoners. Instead of Made Prisoner and Mission entries it would change to a single entry, Captured in scenario name during mission name. Saves a single log entry while serving the same purpose. If all were included that would make five total.

Time in Service can be expanded to include not only time in rank but also automatic rank progression up to sergeant or some officer rank. This second addition alone would require a fair bit of space, probably the size of Experience Multipliers or perhaps double. Something the Personnel panel may not handle well and still fit smaller screens/resolutions.

Thoughts?

The existing tabs like Personnel, Rank System, etc are pretty full right now. If I'm imagining it right I'd think that TiS would require a tab all by itself.

I didn't realize you have been working on TiS. I have for the longest time (since about a week after I started using MHQ 2.5 years ago) wanted a new feature. Automatic skill purchases! Maybe this dovetails with TiS so I should I thought I should mention it here. Just tossing the idea around.

How it would work...
Probably a Menu command under Manage Campaign.

Design
1 ) Drop Down Menu for Personnel Type
2 ) Drop Down Menu for Skill Level (Green, etc)
3 ) Drop Down Menu for a Skill
4 ) Drop Down Menu for a Skill Rank*
5 ) Small Text Area for reporting results
6 ) A Check or Search Button
7 ) An OK or Execute Button
8 ) A Cancel Button
9 ) A Progress Bar

*It should use the values available in Skill Tab of Campaign Options. Including skipping certain ranks and the XP costs.

Example of Operation
1 ) Set Personnel Type to Administrators
2 ) Set Skill Level to Green
3 ) Set Skill to Small Arms
4 ) Set Skill Rank to 4

Click Check Button > In a small reporting area "N Personnel can Train"
Click Execute Button > In a small reporting area "N Personnel have trained" could also echo to Daily Log. Short version though... just the number of people who have trained skill (Name)

In the above example every Green Administrator who doesn't have Small Arms 4 will expend all available XP trying to get to 4.

Examples of the short text reports so that Daily Log isn't over-run.

Although not really necessary, I the Skill Level filter might be very useful in preventing horrifically long times to update.

Well time in service has been ready for awhile now but since HQ is in a feature freeze and ralgith is busy with RL... He has stated it could go in before the stable but between bugs and RL I don't think he will have a chance to get around to it.

Time in Rank is a feature request from BLOODWOLF. I haven't started on it but have been thinking about it as well as auto rank progression. When I started prototyping the new tab it does look like it will take up a lot of room for rank progression. At least with the option of prerequisite skills. Once I complete the UI example you'll have an idea of what I mean.
I've seen BLOODWOLF's Spread Sheet. I pretty much know exactly what you mean by being large.  :o

OK, like I said... it just felt like a good time to bring up my idea.
Well, if you have ideas or odd features you are interested in post it on my tracker. Everything I have worked on so far that hasn't been added gets a build off my storm branch (which includes all my MM SPAs such as Golden Goose and Terrain Master). Think I might start tagging it every release for those after bleeding edge stuff. https://github.com/pheonixstorm/MekHQ-storm

At any rate, kids are feeling better so should have the gui example ready in a few hours.
Will do Phoenix... tyvm for your time and effort.
I like Phoenix, he's a cool dev. Big Grin  And I have added even more crap to my sheet like latitude of the planet and its effect on the temp in various seasons and terrain of the planet but, thats off topic.  Awesome work Phoenix.
Cool dev but not cool MM/HQ dev...  :'(

Oh well, so far ralgith has been (mostly) happy with my work and has included most of it so far.
MM/HQ are the only things I know that you dev on lol.  Of course thats what I mean, go pick apart my UI skins.
Currently only project I am active on. I was doing a lot of debugging for free orion (4X space game). I was working on a copy of Warzone 2100 but forgot to push some large commits to my repo and lost a few months worth of work due to a reformat (didn't help that is was on the wrong drive).