This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Princess unexplained lower To-Hit modifier
Hi team, 
I'm fairly new to Megamek and have been playing with it on and off for a couple of years.
Running win10 and latest stable MekHQ 46.1. I've been trying my hand at a quick campaign to dip the toes and got my arse absolutely handed to me by the Bot, which has seriously soured my experience.
I have since been trying a couple of scenarios one on one with the Bot to get a feel for the To-Hit modifiers. I have noticed that the Princess (with default settings) has consistent lower To-Hit modifiers than me.
Let me elaborate, first example, I went through the rounds logs to try to understand the difference, where you select a weapon and it shows the working out with all the modifiers and gives you a final To-Hit roll required and comparing it with the actual combat log, mine were consistent with that information but Princess's combat log had initial To-hit  modifiers same as mine, for example, I needed 9+ To-Hit and Princess also needed a 9+ To-Hit in the weapons panel, but Princess only needed 6+ in the actual combat log, and after double checking all relevant modifiers in Battletech rules, there is no account for the reduced -3, that same -3 was applied to Princess in every combat round.
My second game was much the same, but princess only got a -2 reduction each round.
By this stage I already had the shits and ran two instances hot seat, and what do you know, same mechs used and all weapon selection and modifier working was reflected with required dice rolls in the combat work out phase.
Now I'm sure it's a complete oversight of some basic setting I've missed but I'm not able to find anything closely resembling an explanation online as to the discrepancy when using Princess.

If someone could please help that would be very much appreciated.
Not sure what would cause such a discrepancy, but try it on the dev 47.11. 46.1 has been declared EOL and is expected to be replaced by a .48 before year end.
We would need to see screen shots from the firing phase, or a save game. But their are a ton of modifiers that could be in play.
I will do another couple of rounds and screen shots tonight for more clarity.
Will also try the dev 47, thank you.
So I had another crack and it would seem I'm a bit more rusty than I thought. It seems the To-Hit numbers are accurate and I have figured out where I went wrong. When you review the combat round and click on a underscored mech, it only shows your To-Hit working out regardless of which mech you clicked.

The other bit which had me scratching my head was the movement used as opposed to actual hexes moved.
That being said, even though the calculations in the background are behaving as intended, it was really frustrating getting hammered and not knowing how, lol.

Images attached should clarify the two issues I had.

Thank you for your insight and recommendations for the more recent dev build. As a general rule, I tend to stick with stables cos they're, well umh.....stable, lol. But I'm really liking the look and feel of the latest development, you guys have done incredible work with your software.

Cheers.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-04-2020, 04:40 AM)DigivvhorE Wrote: Thank you for your insight and recommendations for the more recent dev build. As a general rule, I tend to stick with stables cos they're, well umh.....stable, lol. But I'm really liking the look and feel of the latest development, you guys have done incredible work with your software.

Cheers.

"Stable" is kind of a misnomer. . . the Dev releases are "stable" (i.e., they shouldn't up and crash for no reason because someone forgot to carry a one in the 4077 bajilionth line of code).  Rather, "Stable" is just an older version, including whatever bugfixes, new features, and refinements were in that version, while the most recent "Dev" release has all the most recent bugfixes, new features, and refinements.  I was sticking with "Stable" releases for awhile, but running into breaking issues that had been solved as of the most recent Dev release.  Now, I pretty much always keep up with the latest Dev release.

Princess' movement is. . . odd.  She'll try and give you the worst To-Hit possible, which frequently means running in a circle (to get the most Hexes Moved) so she can end up back where she had as many Woods hexes as possible between you and her (stacking penalties for firing through Woods or denying some of your units LOS completely).  Even when I set Princess to "Brawler," she tends to hang as far back as possible (even being out of range for most of her weapons) to stack as much Range modifier on me as she can.  From what I've gathered, this really isn't a thing that can be "fixed," short of starting completely over and writing one of those huge, branching, damn-near-actually-intelligent AIs like, say, Alien: Isolation has (and I have no idea if Java would support something that complex. . . my knowledge of computer coding is limited to "it exists").  Princess is getting slowly better, but the basic behaviors work "well enough" and she's an adequate opponent for fun, fairly unchallenging gameplay, so (again, from what I've gathered lurking here from time to time) there aren't really any plans to change the basics of how she does things.  That having been said, you give give her an opening, and she can be surprisingly, brutally vicious about exploiting it.  My tactics are pretty basic. . . rolling my 'Mechs, vehicles, and whatever else forward in an advancing wall of doom, and 19 times out of 20 I see Princess driven before me and crush her armies.  The twentieth time. . . well, it still goes down like that, but she gives me a good black eye or bloody nose in the process.  Some of that's dependent on RNG, though (still remember one campaign with a "Cursed BattleMaster" that got headshotted something like four times in four different deployments. . . starting with the one where I got to salvage it from Princess in the first place!)
Thank you for elaborating on that, I will certainly be open to the latest builds from now on. As for Princess not being perfect, well I figured like most AI's, she would be crunching the best possible numbers in the background but it had more to do with me being so stale at this. I basically have to start from scratch reading the rules again because I haven't touched this in so long, and to be able to appreciate the sheer complexity of what this software can keep track of, I think I'm going to have to make an effort and dig a little deeper.
(11-05-2020, 07:15 PM)DigivvhorE Wrote: Thank you for elaborating on that, I will certainly be open to the latest builds from now on. As for Princess not being perfect, well I figured like most AI's, she would be crunching the best possible numbers in the background but it had more to do with me being so stale at this. I basically have to start from scratch reading the rules again because I haven't touched this in so long, and to be able to appreciate the sheer complexity of what this software can keep track of, I think I'm going to have to make an effort and dig a little deeper.

Yeah, the books are hugely important.  Most questions about "how does X work" will be answered here with "it's in Book Y, Chapter Z."

DriveThruRPG is a great place to get .pdfs of the necessary books, and supporting BattleTech while you're at it.  And, of course, your FLGS if you want physical copies (which can also be helpful to rope your friends into playing!)  And if you're interested in the Lore side of things, Tex Talks BattleTech on YouTube has you covered.  (I'm really hoping his next episode is on the Jihad, I've flipped through the books for that and STILL can't make heads or tails of it!  Well, beyond "Blakists Bad, Tree Pretty," but that was a given.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Terrain PSR modifier rewrite nearly complete pheonixstorm 0 692 03-09-2016, 09:35 PM
Last Post: pheonixstorm
  low light condition to-hit modifier and mech optics BLOODWOLF 9 2,628 01-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Last Post: BLOODWOLF
  BV2 Modifier Akira213 2 1,632 10-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Akira213