This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cockpit hits too frequent?
Hey all... First time here and playing megamek, but back in the day played a ton of tabletop... Two to three guys in either side each with a couple lances etc persistent stuff... 

And my first impression of megamek is it's great, but first impression is that cockpit head hits are way too common... We would play whole games with 3 v 3 and head hits were still somewhat rare from what I remember that being 20 years ago lol...

Is there any way to decrease head hits? My first battle 4 assaults v a larger force of heavies and medium both side mechs were going down poilots blacked out it was crazy! Is there a way to decrease the chance of a head hit in the coding or program?  

If not fair enough I'll try and use terrain to my advantage more and also target there best pilot etc I ran it a second time and rerolled map for some forested hills which went better I was using jump jets to break line of sight etc but I had to restart program.... It just really stood out way more head hits then when we played tabletop!!

Otherwise awesome stuff! 

Cheers!!
It's all RNG. It's not weighted one way or another. I think it was coded to be more random than the built in libraries.
This is what I posted on Facebook the other day when asked a similar question:

We've looked into RNG thing for years. One of our retired devs teaches statistics at Uni and he's looked at it and found it within acceptable ranges.
One thing I've seen over and over in my own play is we have a bias to when stuff happens to us. I had one game where I had the RNG log on, was ticked I had 3 2's in a row. But had no complaints about the 5 12's I rolled against Princess in a row.

Because Megamek speeds play, players use more optional rules. Which generates more rolls than normal tabletop. More rolls increases the likely hood of fishy
looking streaks.

You can also change the method used for RNG in the options.
(03-18-2021, 05:08 PM)Hammer Wrote: This is what I posted on Facebook the other day when asked a similar question:

We've looked into RNG thing for years. One of our retired devs teaches statistics at Uni and he's looked at it and found it within acceptable ranges.
One thing I've seen over and over in my own play is we have a bias to when stuff happens to us. I had one game where I had the RNG log on, was ticked I had 3 2's in a row. But had no complaints about the 5 12's I rolled against Princess in a row.

Because Megamek speeds play, players use more optional rules. Which generates more rolls than normal tabletop. More rolls increases the likely hood of fishy
looking streaks.

You can also change the method used for RNG in the options.

Hammer,
Thanks for the response also thanks to the first comment as well... yes I thought about it a bit and it is random some times you get a bad run... But after several battles and just learning the simulator all the stuff came back to me in the sense that I use movement and cover and line of site with my faster mechs and also jump jets and heavy woods and keeping at longer range with my elite assaults like I built my mercenary company way back in the day you got a certain amount of starting points which I usually put into a really good pilot or two and really good assaults and the rest just stick stuff... So the recent battles I've had are more in line with what I remember... Though I lost a pilot in a stock Dragon because it turned into a forest brawl and a lucky cockpit shot, but that's in line with what I remember so so far so good this is awesome!!!!!!

Cheers,
Charlie

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BUG! (I think) about partial cover hits Elf86 3 1,478 05-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Arlith
  Interface cockpit not implemented? Sobakaa 2 1,546 11-13-2015, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Sobakaa