This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple players
Hey all, I've been trying to figure out MekHQ to see if I could use it for a campaign where i have multiple players in a mercenary company.  We have used MegaMek with multiple people on one team without issue, but i have been struggling with figuring out how to do this so things can again be integrated into mekHQ for salvage etc  and management,  there are several players running a mech company, and the GM as the opponent

anyone have experience running anything like that? any tips?
I've been doing this for a while, I do all the tracking in MHQ for the entire unit and send them the file so they know the status of the unit, etc. When there comes time for a scenario I send them individual MULs (a scenario per player) and at the end I have them send me the end game mul, and then I put together the salvage if anything needs changed/added and I only run salvage for 1 of the scenarios when I resolve. Usually it is pretty straight forward.

However, as I mentioned, sometimes the salvage file needs modified - this can be due to surrendered units being taken as salvage, in which case they need to be taken from the OpFor End MUL and put in the salvage MUL. Another instance is if you lost a 'Mech as Player 1 & Player 2 and resolve salvage for the team using Player 1, they will get their 'Mech back and it won't appear on the salvage list just fine, however Player 2's downed unit will appear on the salvage list, so it would need to be removed from the salvage MUL and added to Player 2's end MUL before resolving the scenario.

It would be nice if there could be a smoother process for a campaign with multiple people in 1 unit. But a little bit of copy and paste between the files isn't too painful for the time being.
(12-14-2011, 10:48 AM)Jayof9s link Wrote: I've been doing this for a while, I do all the tracking in MHQ for the entire unit and send them the file so they know the status of the unit, etc. When there comes time for a scenario I send them individual MULs (a scenario per player) and at the end I have them send me the end game mul, and then I put together the salvage if anything needs changed/added and I only run salvage for 1 of the scenarios when I resolve. Usually it is pretty straight forward.

However, as I mentioned, sometimes the salvage file needs modified - this can be due to surrendered units being taken as salvage, in which case they need to be taken from the OpFor End MUL and put in the salvage MUL. Another instance is if you lost a 'Mech as Player 1 & Player 2 and resolve salvage for the team using Player 1, they will get their 'Mech back and it won't appear on the salvage list just fine, however Player 2's downed unit will appear on the salvage list, so it would need to be removed from the salvage MUL and added to Player 2's end MUL before resolving the scenario.

It would be nice if there could be a smoother process for a campaign with multiple people in 1 unit. But a little bit of copy and paste between the files isn't too painful for the time being.

I find its much easier to split and then recombine the units MUL than to have separate "Scenarios" Wink
One of my goals for the post-stable development cycle is to put in a client-server system that allows multiple people to log in to the same MekHQ with one person as the GM and the others as players. It will require quite a bit of work to do this however, so that is why it is slated for post-stable. Until then, the procedure Jayof9s lays out is your best way to go.
(12-14-2011, 01:02 PM)Taharqa link Wrote: One of my goals for the post-stable development cycle is to put in a client-server system that allows multiple people to log in to the same MekHQ with one person as the GM and the others as players. It will require quite a bit of work to do this however, so that is why it is slated for post-stable. Until then, the procedure Jayof9s lays out is your best way to go.

While I am glad that is slated for after MHQ is stable, that will be awesome once it is added.
Wow!! thanks for the fast and detailed response guys!!

so glad that it is possible to work things out, and especially to hear that a new related feature is planed. 

Thanks again Guys!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiple techs on one refit? dgorsman 1 1,189 06-12-2019, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Hammer
  Running a campaign for multiple players wjpennington 8 4,856 01-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Last Post: ralgith
  Running multiple missions Kendo 0 1,248 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Kendo
  Can we improve refits, assign multiple techs? neilfw 1 1,792 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Xenon54z