This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ink Effects Portraits for MekHQ / MegaMek
Ink Effect portrait pack updated to Version 1.10.

I have added a few additional portraits in my spare time between RealLife keeping me busy.
I just stumbled across MegaMek the other day, so I'm sorry for the obvious necropost, but it really does bear being said: a big thank you (to both the OP and contributors) for putting this pack together! It makes a big difference, even though it may have been a while since you heard it.

Cheers!
Love these, we need more Big Grin.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=46212.0
I hope this is the creepiest thing I've ever done: https://www.mediafire.com/file/itjvj66z6...s.zip/file

Just over 3,700 computer-generated images (i.e., none of these people are real) of males and females, broken into 4 ethnic categories and an average of 467 images for each, all on transparent backgrounds (yay, unit backdrops!).

Wanted to give something back to the community. Enjoy.
Thanks for doing these!

It's unlikely many people will see the download here. I'd suggest opening a thread here - https://bg.battletech.com/forums/megamek-games/

Also we are working on a seperate MekHQ extras pack. I'd like to include them in that pack which will be available from our website. But would like your permission to do that.
Thanks for the positive feedback, Hammer. Sorry for the delay; I was unaware I was limited to only one post a day as a new registrant.

I've been working with the portraits in HQ and I'm unhappy with the remnants around each person for the transparency. I'm thinking that the distortion effect is too off-putting and might warrant a background afterall. I'm willing to redo these with the background, if you agree, or if you think the ability to put user-personalized backgrounds is more important, then we can stick with what we have.

You certainly have my permission to put these in the extras pack. I'm not registered on the official forums, so please feel free to post there too.
(05-09-2021, 08:46 AM)LeyteWolfer Wrote: Thanks for the positive feedback, Hammer. Sorry for the delay; I was unaware I was limited to only one post a day as a new registrant.

Yea, that's on me. We've had an uptick on multi-post spam bots so it's limited to 1/day. Keep coming back and posting and you'll be promoted up soon enough.
(05-09-2021, 08:46 AM)LeyteWolfer Wrote: Thanks for the positive feedback, Hammer. Sorry for the delay; I was unaware I was limited to only one post a day as a new registrant.

I've been working with the portraits in HQ and I'm unhappy with the remnants around each person for the transparency. I'm thinking that the distortion effect is too off-putting and might warrant a background afterall. I'm willing to redo these with the background, if you agree, or if you think the ability to put user-personalized backgrounds is more important, then we can stick with what we have.

You certainly have my permission to put these in the extras pack. I'm not registered on the official forums, so please feel free to post there too.

We came to the same conclusion with our included pack. Saxarba (our artist) used backgrounds from SpOoKy777 (he did our splash screens). He's given us permission to use any of his stuff for that purpose. 

The reception from our pack was the vast majority liked them the way they where. A few asked to have pieces, but I would say do what you want to do, personally I think have them with an in universe feel is better than blank on the back.
My idea was that having the transparent background made it easier for other users to put a background in the image, but if they /don't/ put in a background, there is a weird distortion around the portrait's head and shoulders. I presume most people are going to go with the stock image, and may not like the distortion (but will be stuck with it for every character).

I think what I'll do is put a basic white background and users can delete that themselves if they have the inclination to put in a unit background.

I'll post the updated file when it's done.

Edit: done ( https://www.mediafire.com/file/f2b8neukf...2.zip/file ). There are now 4,400 images, 550 in each subfolder. I think these are substantially better, but will leave the original file up if others want the transparents.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scenario Syntax - Pilot Portraits? Rymafyr 3 2,404 04-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Akjosch
  Pixel Art Portraits applerobot 0 2,269 07-01-2012, 04:56 AM
Last Post: applerobot