This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Against the bot rules.
Here they are, by Makinus and updated by me. 
Edit 16-sep-12 added the latest rules update

Attached Files
.zip   rules_2.25.zip (Size: 91.71 KB / Downloads: 70)
(09-09-2012, 05:19 PM)pfarland link Wrote: Here they are, by Makinus and updated by me.

Thank you so much! I've been anxious to give these a try for a while now!

I downloaded the file. I'll take a look at it tonight, spending some time with the Wife Big Grin
New change for bonuses:

The bonus payment is now calculated this way:

Mechwarriors:
Elite = 300.000
Veteran = 150.000
Regular = 50.000
Green = 20.000

Support and Vehicle crew:
Elite = 100.000
Veteran = 50.000
Regular = 20.000
Green = 10.000

Infantry platoons are always considered as if they were a single Regular combat unit. Vehicle crews are rolled individually but on the "support" table.
OK couple of updates.

Attached Files
.rar   rules_2.24.rar (Size: 90.17 KB / Downloads: 6)
Thanks for the update.

I've been reading through the rules. Looks neat. I think I'll make a company in a few Big Grin
How do I determine the rating of my Company?

Edit: Nevermind. Now that I fire up MekHQ I see that it calculates that for me. Does it matter which method I use?
That's up to you.  Taharqua's rating give you a more realistic one though slightly lower.
Does the Tech rating for your initial mechs have a use? It doesn't seem to factor into the RAT rolls to determine what Mech it is.

Or is it just one of those things I need to record for later?
Those are used for the RATs that have a seperate column for each one.  It represents the difference between the units that get choice equipment and those that get the short end of the stick.  If you have the Merc Handbook I think that one has some in it.  I know alot of the Chaos campaign stuff does.  Otherwise I do this for simplicity:

Quality Rating

A Current year
B Two years previous
C Four years previous
D Six years previous
F Eight years previous

This is Xotl's table for availability 3050 and previous, awesome and very in depth.  If you're using that era I would try to find it.  Too big to post here.
3028-3050 Faction Assignment & Rarity Tables 8.2.pdf
(09-10-2012, 01:30 AM)pfarland link Wrote: Those are used for the RATs that have a seperate column for each one.  It represents the difference between the units that get choice equipment and those that get the short end of the stick.  If you have the Merc Handbook I think that one has some in it.  I know alot of the Chaos campaign stuff does.  Otherwise I do this for simplicity:

Quality Rating

A Current year
B Two years previous
C Four years previous
D Six years previous
F Eight years previous

This is Xotl's table for availability 3050 and previous, awesome and very in depth.  If you're using that era I would try to find it.  Too big to post here.
3028-3050 Faction Assignment & Rarity Tables 8.2.pdf

I have Xotl's PDF, but I guess I wasn't look at it closely enough. MekHQ defaults to 3067 so I think that is where I'll start my first campaign.

Thanks for the tips about the rating! There is a lot of information to process!
Xotl doesn't use the A-F system.  That was only the published stuff and then only for awhile.  And have the latest update (again, lol)

Attached Files
.zip   rules_2.24.zip (Size: 125.2 KB / Downloads: 10)
Wow, another update? They update alot  :o

I think I may work at putting a small program together to automate some of this. I already did that with the StratOps rules for Random Company generation, so it should be easy to modify for these force generation rules.

Probably wont build in the other stuff until I've had a chance to play it for a bit so I can get used to how it works.
He does update it, you just got in the middle of a series of them.  Been thinking of doing a excel worksheet for it myself.
Yeah, I noticed the thread on the Official Forums stays pretty busy.

Being a Coder by hobby, I tend to write applications for things like this. I started working on an app to generate a force via these rules. If it goes well and I end up making something to handle Campaign turns I should be able to just plug this into it Big Grin
Coolness
I have the bulk of it done. I just need to code for some optional stuff. Some screenshots!

[Image: screen1zn.png]

[Image: screen2qrn.png]

[Image: optionsd.png]

It's pretty simple, but makes Force Generation a snap.
Ok, this isn't meant to be condescending or anything like that... but:

1. Looks like Windows Only Software, which defeats the cross platform nature of what we do here.
2. You're re-inventing the wheel since we already have random force generation built into MegaMek.
(09-10-2012, 07:59 PM)ralgith link Wrote: Ok, this isn't meant to be condescending or anything like that... but:

1. Looks like Windows Only Software, which defeats the cross platform nature of what we do here.
2. You're re-inventing the wheel since we already have random force generation built into MegaMek.

Actually it's written in C#, so with Mono I can compile it to work cross platform. Granted, I haven't tried that yet.

As for #2, I think you missed the point, or maybe I wasn't very clear. This is for generating your starting company using the rules and tables from the Against-the-Bot Campaign.

I could code it in Java, but after a brief look at the language I decided to stay with C#. I find the idea of requiring a separate file for every public class very off putting. I'm sure there is a reason for it, but for right now I'm happy with C# Smile
since i am not familar with either can I use your against bot campaign with MQ???
(09-10-2012, 08:38 PM)mchapman1970 link Wrote: since i am not familar with either can I use your against bot campaign with MQ???

The Campaign rules aren't mine. You can find the home of them here. Pfarland was kind enough to post them here for me since I've been waiting to get approved by an admin on the other forums.

They were written to be used with MekHQ, there is just some extra bookkeeping on the side (some of which I hope to automate). If the Admins over there ever wake up I look forward to discussing my ideas with Makinus  ;D

You can find a link to the spreadsheet in Pfarland's post.