This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone who understands the merc rating system PLEASE!!!
Please explain to me how in the course of a month waiting on outreach upgrading mechs and training pilots I go from a C(74) rating to a D(35) rating when my unit has only gotten BETTER!!! 
Did you pick up more mechs/vehicles without new technicians to maintain them?  Did you pick up extra personnel without additional admins to support them?  If you right-click on the dragoons rating field, you'll get a dialog box with a breakdown of the calculations.
also, if you are in debt... your rating diminishes.  If you have more mechs than you have mech cubicles for transport, it goes down too..

sadly, mekhq is not smart enough to ship any units as cargo - even if you have a Mule!
I figured it out, I had rearranged the TO&E and didn't put the units back in.  Interestingly my infantry and vehicles bring my rating down.
There is a feature request in for the implementation of mothballing equipment which will make a big difference if implemented.  Basically you pay some tech maintenance to mothball the equipment and it becomes cargo, and again to de-mothball it when you need to allocate it to a pilot.

For campaigns where you get a lot of salvage providing enough transport is financially prohibitive, and if you add pilots to each of the salvaged mechs and assign them in your TO&E, then they drag your dragoons rating down. If you leave the mechs without pilots then your lists of mechs for assigning pilots becomes prohibitively long, and so on..  so there needs to be a solution.  Or just sell the mechs :-(
so forgive me for the dumb question that follows but....
What does the Dragoon rating actually do?
And if you are playing a solitaire campaign (in my feeble lil mind) you are the ONLY merc company getting contracts...

As far as the admins go, in game what is their purpose? I mean, I see the techs in the mechlab doing different repairs, I see the Doctors healing pilots and obviously you see the pilots as you set up battles, but you never "see" the admins so i wonder their purpose...

I understand the purpose in real life, so it it some how tied in to the game to make things smoother to operate, navigate, repair, heal, hire and fire if you have all those admins?

Again sorry for the dumb questions, but I just dont know...
Well, the main reason for the Dragoon rating (other than bragging rights) is for contract negotiations - and if using FM:Mercs and their supplementals, how many personnel you can recruit, how many contracts offered, etc, in a month. 

As for admin - they add to the contract negotiations.  They also (possibly?) reduce the maintenance requirements in mhq.  Not sure about that though.
If you do a solitaire campaign with the "Against-the-Bot" rules, it all does alot.  Your Drogoons rating affects how many contracts you are offered as well as the details of the contracts.  It also affects supplies with higher rating making parts easier to get along with B-A* rating allowing you to buy mechs from the factory.  Admins also affect the contract generation process as well as affecting many other things during the running of your unit.  I've posted the rules and they are updated quite often.  You can find them here: http://megamek.info/forums/index.php?topic=929.0
(09-16-2012, 11:48 AM)vettie link Wrote: so forgive me for the dumb question that follows but....
And if you are playing a solitaire campaign (in my feeble lil mind) you are the ONLY merc company getting contracts...

As far as the admins go, in game what is their purpose? I mean, I see the techs in the mechlab doing different repairs, I see the Doctors healing pilots and obviously you see the pilots as you set up battles, but you never "see" the admins so i wonder their purpose...

I understand the purpose in real life, so it it some how tied in to the game to make things smoother to operate, navigate, repair, heal, hire and fire if you have all those admins?

Currently the Dragoon Rating and Admins don't do anything in MHQ. The rating number is calculated for your use with the rules presented in Field Manual: Mercenaries (Revised) or any house rules based off that. And admin are in MHQ for tracking purposes. Both are planned to eventually be utilized by MHQ in more tangible ways.
(09-16-2012, 11:59 PM)Jayof9s link Wrote: [quote author=vettie link=topic=932.msg5554#msg5554 date=1347810484]
so forgive me for the dumb question that follows but....

Currently the Dragoon Rating and Admins don't do anything in MHQ. The rating number is calculated for your use with the rules presented in Field Manual: Mercenaries (Revised) or any house rules based off that. And admin are in MHQ for tracking purposes. Both are planned to eventually be utilized by MHQ in more tangible ways.
[/quote]

Ok that I understand.

spawns another question
pfarland and epic both mention "you are offered" more contracts. So I must be doing something different or I must have my settings different. I am not being "offered" contracts. Or if I am, I may not know where to look or see them. I can create new contracts, but being offered them would be very cool. So how does "offered" happen?
Once again - check FM:M® for rules on contracts/offers and all other things running a mercenary command. Contract offers aren't made in MHQ currently.
pfarland and Epic are referring to the manual rolls for more contracts as presented in the against the bot rules set, just search for that since I'm too lazy to find the link at the moment.
ah ok.

Thanx

but it would be cool if MekHq offered up random or campaign type contracts....
(09-17-2012, 09:53 AM)vettie link Wrote: ah ok.

Thanx

but it would be cool if MekHq offered up random or campaign type contracts....

Once again that's something planned but not in there yet. I know Taharqa eventually planned to have a whole campaign system available in MHQ, but for now the focus has been getting the basics in before worrying about extras like that. Which require more than just hitting "roll contracts" since they have variables like hiring halls that aren't present in MHQ yet.

Unfortunately development of MHQ has slowed drastically this year due to Taharqa not having time to work on it.
I appreciate what HAS been done. This is really cool.
I enjoy playing the game and the different things available in it.
@ Vettie (and anyone else) - The AtB (Against-the-Bot) solo rules I post here at http://megamek.info/forums/index.php?topic=929.0 you can find the main discussions on them over at the battletech forums on the megamek child board.
yep.
gotta find the time to read through all of it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rank system selection not saving in 0.48? rohanreed 1 88 03-20-2021, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Hammer
  Rank system rroby 7 2,593 05-21-2020, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TriplerSDMB
  Assigend Tech & Unit Rating Report rroby 2 1,639 03-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Last Post: rroby
  Differentiating between "star system" and "planet" Akjosch 9 3,886 03-09-2016, 09:35 AM
Last Post: Akjosch
  AtB Campaign System Immelmann 4 2,417 04-22-2015, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Immelmann
  Starting A New Campaign - Merc Leader Questions ayanokoji 2 1,442 05-22-2014, 01:42 AM
Last Post: pheonixstorm
  Taharqa Dragoon Rating Calculation Arkaris 2 2,109 05-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Last Post: Netzilla
  Merc Unit Structure silmeril 12 5,570 02-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Last Post: silmeril
  Tech rating? kuitiitijin 5 2,613 10-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Taharqa
  Dragoons Rating transport calc Tempest56 2 1,918 09-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Last Post: silmeril