This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Usage for remote players
So I've been having a lot of fun with MekHQ, thanks devs, muchos love!

Anyway I'm attempting to get my old group of table top btech friends into a campaign using this.  Is this possible?  I've been trying alsorts of combinations but struggling to make it work.

I can get MekHQ to do all the bits leading up the combat.  Its then i'd like to start up a server for the Combat part.  Ideally that would fire up a server with both sides of the opposition ( i don't mind generating any of this manually ), but then i can pass the ip/port to the player and tell him to play the battle.  He'd do the battle, and the server would log the results.  This doesn't seem possible. 

2nd option would be that the players would get their mission/combat details via forum post, they'd connect to dedicated server load in themselves (.mul) and then enter the enemy, they'd do the battle and the server would log the gamelog.htm, and the survivors and salvage.  This seems the closest to being doable, it just seems Dedicated servers don't want to generate useful logs for battles taking place on them.  I'm hoping i've missed some config to do this, but have yet to find it.

I'm guessing I'm trying to use MekHQ for what its not intended, but thought i'd enquire anyway?  If anyone has any answers, or has an alternate method.

Thanks for your time!
Unfortunately if you aren't taking part in the battles the easiest way to get around this is to have the players send the end MUL files.

Another option is if you're hosting the dedicated server, have the players leave the final overview open. And then you can then jump on the server whenever and select File -> Unit List -> Save and it will allow you to save the end mul for each player that was in the battle. Though one of the players will have to send you the Salvage.mul file.

A final option would be to have them send you the mission save just prior to the end screen and you can then load MHQ and "load save" and then resolve through MHQ for each for that way.
I'll give both of those a try first thing tomorrow after work.  thanks for your speedy reply Smile
Actually, I prefer just getting the autosave file.  Have your players turn on paranoid autosave, and then the end phase is saved, just before game end. 

Then, you can load the game from mekhq, it'll generate the salvage for you and everything.  You can also review the turns and see if anything really cool happened for your own version of a battle report. 
You have hit upon one of the most fantastic features... Writing up the occasional mission report, or adding to a characters biography is a non-core feature, but it makes the game.  Going back after several months playing and re-reading an epic battle sequence.  sometimes it gives the inspiration for a call-sign... 
(09-17-2012, 09:57 PM)Epic link Wrote: Actually, I prefer just getting the autosave file.  Have your players turn on paranoid autosave, and then the end phase is saved, just before game end. 

Then, you can load the game from mekhq, it'll generate the salvage for you and everything.  You can also review the turns and see if anything really cool happened for your own version of a battle report. 

This seems to work quite well Smile

Am i right in thinking, that if i connect to the dedicated server as the same name as the player, then setup the match, get it to the beginning of the Deployment phase and then close my client connection...that i can gave the player the IP/port and he can connect and do the mission from that point?

There doesn't seem any kinda user/pass type thing involved, so i'm guessing its only checking via the username?  Or does it look at the IP as well?
(09-19-2012, 10:47 AM)sshagent link Wrote: [quote author=Epic link=topic=938.msg5645#msg5645 date=1347933458]
Actually, I prefer just getting the autosave file.  Have your players turn on paranoid autosave, and then the end phase is saved, just before game end. 

This seems to work quite well Smile

Am i right in thinking, that if i connect to the dedicated server as the same name as the player, then setup the match, get it to the beginning of the Deployment phase and then close my client connection...that i can gave the player the IP/port and he can connect and do the mission from that point?

There doesn't seem any kinda user/pass type thing involved, so i'm guessing its only checking via the username?  Or does it look at the IP as well?
[/quote]

No, you are correct.
Groovy.

Hopefully my last problem, when a bot disconnects...i can't bring it back.  Lookign at the error messages I'm seeing, the /replacePlayer command is trying to open an X11 window on my server which it can't.  There anyway around this?  Other than me actually running this on X on my server, and logging into it to fix bot issues.  

thanks for your time!
(09-20-2012, 12:09 PM)sshagent link Wrote: Groovy.

Hopefully my last problem, when a bot disconnects...i can't bring it back.  Lookign at the error messages I'm seeing, the /replacePlayer command is trying to open an X11 window on my server which it can't.  There anyway around this?  Other than me actually running this on X on my server, and logging into it to fix bot issues.  

thanks for your time!

Umm... /replacePlayer shouldn't be trying to do anything with X. And I've never heard of that before. Can you explain exactly step by step what you're doing so I can attempt to replicate this? From start of game to where you hit this please.
I'm at work at the moment, so will give exact details with some copy/pastes this evening.  But here is roughly what I'm doing.

1.  Start dedicated server using megamek.jar (the one within the mekhq 0.16 ).  So java -jar megamek.jar -dedicated -port xxxxx
2.  I start regular megamek client(35.31) from my PC (the mekhq one doesn't seem to like starting up) and connect across the internet to dedicated server as PlayerA
3.  I then load in a .mul i got from mekhq, pick the map, double check game options, generate opposition assigning them to Princess bot.
4.  Start battle, after the first piece if deployed i kill the client
5.  I then inform the player that their battle is ready supplying IP and PORT.  They connect in as PlayerA, and they complain the bot has died.

I've also gone and tried this with just megamek vanilla, using the 35.31 .jar for the dedicated server, in case the version mismatch is the issue and it failed the same. 

In my testing of this, where i do this exactly the same except i connect back as PlayerA ( again ) the bot just seems to wait and everything works.  odd.  Maybe the bot is more interested in the player being the original player.  Perhaps its config is some how tied to the initial players client. 

If i try the /replacePlayer command it tends to do nothing ( it actually seems to dc me, just takes a while to notice ) spit this out in megameklog.txt on the server

Quote:java.awt.HeadlessException:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:207)
        at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:535)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:420)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:385)
        at megamek.client.bot.ui.AWT.BotGUI.<init>(BotGUI.java:49)
        at megamek.server.commands.AddBotCommand.run(AddBotCommand.java:80)
        at megamek.server.Server.processCommand(Server.java:23708)
        at megamek.server.Server.handle(Server.java:23786)
        at megamek.server.Server$1.packetReceived(Server.java:327)
        at megamek.common.net.AbstractConnection.processConnectionEvent(AbstractConnection.java:597)
        at megamek.common.net.AbstractConnection.processPacket(AbstractConnection.java:501)
        at megamek.common.net.AbstractConnection.update(AbstractConnection.java:448)
        at megamek.server.Server.run(Server.java:23969)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
s: error reading command:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.

I'll get some exact copy/pastes tonight, will try the bot with Verbose in case that spits out some useful info other than it disconnecting. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High memory usage resolving scenarios with drophips, warships etc SirMegaV 28 10,552 07-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Netzilla
  Memory usage pheonixstorm 10 4,052 04-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Last Post: ralgith
  Adjusting Memory Usage in Megamek called by MekHQ Alemnyr 5 2,967 12-31-2011, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Alemnyr
  Multiple players Mumbles 5 3,063 12-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Mumbles